Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How long should roofs last?
A: Most roof systems are designed to last 20+ years. To realize this anticipated life span, several things need to be considered: the roof system needs to be well-designed, quality material needs to be used, and it needs to be installed correctly as well as maintained over the life of the system.
Q: Why do I need my roof inspected, it's only 9 years old and I have a 20 year no dollar limit warranty?
A: The warranty you have on paper will not protect the roof from Mother Nature. Your building is subjected to a wide variety of conditions, all of which can have a negative impact on your roof, such as:
- Heat: Evaporates oils within the membrane and breaks down roof systems
- Ponding Water: Standing water can act like a magnifying glass and speed up the aging process
- Freeze-Thaw Cycles: Ruin your roof system from the inside out
- Severe Weather: High winds, heavy drifting snow, drenching rain, or hail can impact your roof in countless ways
- Structural Movement: Can occur without the proper roof installation the first time
- Biological Growth: Root systems that penetrate the roof system
- Foot Traffic: Damage inadvertently caused by others
Q: I do not have the funds right now to replace the roof. Is there anything else i can do?
A: Yes, there are several options available to you:
- Removal and replacement of specific isolated roof areas with similar material
- Clean, prime and coat existing membrane with acrylic, urethane or aluminum coating
- Removal of flashing and recover existing roof assembly
- Repair roof to a leak-free condition and implement a maintenance program
Q: I currently have two proposals from different contractors and they are proposing completely different systems. How do I know which system is right for me?
A: This would be collaborative effort with you and your roof contractor based on your concerns and how they relate to the following questions:
- What is the building type and usage?
- What is the building code requirement? (City of Chicago effective April 22, 2009)
- What is the estimated life cycle of the system?
- What kind of maintenance is required, and what is the expected cost?
- What type of foot traffic, and how much is expected?
- What type of access is there for work on roof?
- What is the requirement for a future green roof system?